It’s National Pet Grooming Day, and a good reminder that sometimes our pets need a good spring cleaning too! Here are a few DIY tips for grooming your pet at home:
- Brush your pet before giving them a bath. Brushing your pet first will remove a lot of the heavier dirt in your pet’s fur, and will make brushing after the bath an easier task
- Have your pet’s favourite treat on hand for lots of positive reinforcement, and to let your pet know grooming is a bonding experience, not a stressful one
- Use cool to warm water when preparing a bath. Try to avoid getting shampoo in your pet’s eyes or ear canals, as this can cause irritation
- Use a high quality shampoo when bathing your pet. We recommend HylaGroom™ Shampoo. This soap-free hypoallergenic shampoo is formulated with Ceramide III to help support healthy skin, along with essential fatty acids to nourish the skin while preventing flaking and scaling. It’s also safe to use with topical flea and tick medications. Ask your vet for HylaGroom™ on your next visit. For more info, check out: https://greywolfah.com/products/hylagroomtm-shampoo-and-mousse-by-vetbiotek/
- Rinse thoroughly to ensure your pet’s coat is free of any shampoo residue that can irritate their skin
- Your pet doesn’t need a blowout – swap the hair dryer for towels when it comes to drying your pet’s fur
- Now that your pet is so fresh and so clean, treat them to lots of snuggles and belly rubs to make bath time fun for everyone!